Documents needed if you are planning to make a trip

Any time of the year is a good time to travel. Every season has its charms and we will always find something to do wherever we go.

Throughout the year, we usually make different types of trips, whether long or short. Generally, short trips are made in our car and usually last a few days. On the other hand, for the long ones the usual thing to do is to book a plane ticket and once at the destination book a rental car.

Why travel by plane?

AirplaineFor most of us this is a question with very easy answers. Let’s say we live in the interior or in areas with a rainy or cold climate and we want to enjoy a few days of sunshine, be it many or few. Given the current travel conditions it is very convenient to go to any airport we have near us and choose a sunny beach destination or even a big city break. Normally the trips are between 1 and 3 hours and you can reach destinations far away from our homes.

Once at the destination you can always rent a car, being this the best option to move around the area. For example, if we arrive at Alicante airport in Victoria Rent a Car we can get a hire car at a very low price and also with everything included, without excess and without deposit.

What documents do I need to have with me?

Once decided the trip we will have to prepare all the documentation in order not to have troubles in the airport.

Passport picturePassport or national identity card

  • If you are a citizen or resident in any country of the European Community and want to travel to any of these countries, you will only need your national identity card in case you do not have or do not want to use your passport.
  • If you are travelling to or from a country outside the European Union, you must have a valid passport. In some cases, you may even need a visa to enter the country.
  • Plane ticket.
  • If you are travelling by plane, you must have your plane ticket ready. With today’s technology, in addition to the traditional paper ticket, there are more and more airports and airlines that accept electronic tickets directly on your mobile phone. To do this you have to download an application and validate it when you pass the security check and enter the plane. Of course not all airports accept this kind of ticket so make sure you don’t need the paper ticket.


Driver’s license

  • Driving licenseWhether we travel in our own car or if we intend to rent a car at the destination airport we have to carry our driver’s license. And it is not valid with a photocopy, but it has to be an original document.
  • If our destination is a country outside the European Community you may also need to have an international driving licence (IDP). We may also need it if our licence was not issued by one of the member states. It would be a good idea to check this information and apply for it at your local Traffic Department. This is usually a very simple and quick procedure. In addition, if you do not have it, you may either not be given the rental car or you may be fined and unable to continue your journey if you go with your own car.

Medical card

  • Medical cardIf your trip is within the European Community, in addition to the health card that we all have we must apply for the European Health Insurance Card. In case of accident or illness we will have medical assistance.
  • If we travel outside the European Union in Victoria Cars we will always recommend the hiring of a medical insurance in case something happens. Remember that not all countries offer free health coverage, hence our recommendation.

Cash or credit/debit cards?

  • Cash and bank cardsAs we all know, when you travel you have to have money. Although many people usually bring cash, it is always advisable to have one or more cards, in addition to offering us more security. In the event of theft or loss if the cash is taken from us it is very unlikely that we will ever get it back. However, if we have a credit or debit card we can call our bank and they will cancel it immediately. In this case our money is safe. Having travel insurance in these cases always helps, as the vast majority lend us amounts of money that we will have to pay back on return.
  • At the same time it is very unlikely that we are deceived with the change of currency or apply changes with high commissions, if we travel in a country where the currency is different from that we have in our country.
  • If our intention is to rent a car at Alicante Airport for example or to stay in a hotel we will always have to present a card, either credit or debit, depending on the conditions of contract that we have chosen.

If I rent a car, what documentation do I need?

Car Rental

Nowadays there are many offers on the internet. We can find cars from just a few euros a day that seem very cheap to prices that at first glance seem higher.

If we choose a car that at first sight seems very economic, we will have to take into account that it has a very basic insurance and that for that we will have to have a credit card exclusively with enough funds to cover the guarantee that they ask us for. This guarantee will cover any possible damage during the rental period. You must also take into account that in all cases you will have to pay an administrative charge for the management of the fuel which varies between 30 and 60 euros.

If, on the contrary, we decide to book our rental car with full insurance, Victoria Cars offers you the Premium Pack. In this case you will not have to pay any kind of deposit and you can also choose to pay your rental by credit or debit card. Of course, we do not have to pay any kind of expense for the management of the fuel.

 Are we missing something?

 In short, whatever the reason for our trip, the important thing is to do it. It helps us relax and recharge our batteries.

If your destination requires a rental car in Victoria Cars we offer you the quality of service you deserve. Car rentals in Calpe, Alicante Airport or Valencia Airport are just some of the destinations we serve. New vehicles with all risk insurance so that your trip is made without mishaps.